The Town of Wartrace offers numerous services to citizens. The following is an overview of our services, as well as some restrictions  that are in place.


It is not permissible in Tennessee for dog owners to allow their dogs to run at large. Tennessee Code Annotated 44-8-408 (b) provides as follows: "The owner of a dog commits an offense if that dog goes uncontrolled upon the premises of another without the consent of the owner of the premises or other person authorized to give consent, or goes uncontrolled by the owner upon a highway, public road, street, or any other place open to the public generally." Exceptions are dogs used for hunting, driving stock, or for police or military use. 

Animals may be taken to the Bedford County Animal Control facility, located at 205 Lane Parkway in Shelbyville. Currently the county has a policy in place that does not allow residents of any "city" to bring animals, however we are working to partner with the county to address this.  The facility *does* allow adoptions. If you are interested in adopting a dog or cat, please consider a rescue pup or kitty. 



Current tax rate is 1.3094%. Taxes are mailed the first of October and are considered delinquent the first day of March the following year. Penalty and interest accrue at a rate of 2% for each month taxes are delinquent. Taxes delinquent for over a year will be turned over to Bedford County Chancery Court for collection. Additional fees will be charged for collection.

Tax Relief for Seniors, Disabled

The town of Wartrace through the State of Tennessee is now accepting applications for property tax relief.  Homeowners who are over 65 years of age, disabled, disabled veteran, or widow(er) of a disabled veteran may be eligible.


There are no income requirements for fully disabled veterans or their widow(ers), however the maximum income amount per household for elderly homeowners or disabled homeowners is $29,180. If you meet these basic eligibility requirements, please stop by the Town Hall or the County Trustee and we can calculate if you would be fully eligible.



We make every attempt to pick up brush once a month, if possible.  There is a limit of one truckload per pick-up per month.

Limbs are to be no longer than 8 feet in length and weigh no more than 60 lbs.

Brush must be brought to the edge of the road and accessible.

Brush must be from that lot/residence.

If an outside contractor cuts the brush, they are responsible for hauling it off.



Garbage will be picked up every Monday morning. It must be out by 6:30 a.m. to ensure pickup. We cannot pick up anything that will not be accepted by the convenience center. Residential Only, No Commercial.


  • Garbage must be in garbage bags, not boxes, and securely tied. Garbage should be placed in a trashcan with a lid. Cans should not be filled too full, preventing lid to fit securely. If a bag is torn or garbage scattered, the garbage will not be picked up. Bags should not be filled to the point that they burst when picked up. If they burst, we will not be able to pick them up. There is a six-bag limit. An exception is made on the pickup day immediately following Christmas. 

  • Cardboard boxes will not be picked up because of the excessive amount of manpower hours required to dispose of the cardboard at the Convenience Center.

  • Yard clippings, grass and leaves will not be picked up with the garbage.

  • Building supplies, furniture, tires, paint cans and other hazardous waste will not be picked up.

  • Food waste from restaurants will not be picked up.

  • If you have trash in excess of the six-bag limit, the Convenience Center is located at 206 Sunset Blvd (1055 Smart St.). They are open as follows:

    • Monday and Friday
      6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
      6:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
      1:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
      6:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Town of Wartrace
P.O. Box 158
29 Main St., E.
Wartrace, TN 37183


© 2020 by Town of Wartrace.